No, that’s not the Commander in Chief of the British Armed Forces talking, that’s an experienced addiction rehabilitation clinician imparting a pearl of wisdom that no raging alcoholic can afford to ignore.
Knowing your enemy does not just mean: knowing all about the destructive power of alcohol itself, but also about the triggers that occur prior to (and during) times when you crave a drink; knowing the cues, the activators…
The principle is simple
If you can clearly recognise the trigger points that commonly occur every time you yearn for alcohol, you can set about formulating coping and combating strategies that will help you to resist those urges, whenever they happen.
For most alcohol abusers, typical trigger points are:
- The smell of alcohol
- The slightest taste of alcohol
- TV commercials (and printed advertisements) promoting different kinds of alcoholic drinks
- Receiving bad news or feeling stressed (and then being overcome with the feeling that only having a few drinks will help you cope with the situation, to lift your mood)
- Even the most fleeting of glimpses towards the alcohol aisle at your local supermarket!
How Rehab treatment could help you
Detox, Medication, Nutritional Support, Alcoholics Anonymous, 12-Steps Abstinence-Based Therapy, and Family Support are all modules that can be incorporated into a specifically tailored alcoholism recovery programme at a Rehab treatment clinic in the UK. As well as these, the following modules can be used to help you recognise, understand and deal with your own activators:
- Psychotherapy (both group and individual)
- CBT (Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy)
- Relapse Prevention, and